Saint Ignatius Loyola Academy
Summer Leadership Institute Application
The SILA Summer Leadership Institute is an internship opportunity for college-aged graduates to reconnect with the Academy and to explore their own interests in the educational field. In addition to testing out their skills in both the camp setting and the classroom, this program will offer graduates the opportunity to develop their own leadership skills through participation in professional workshops and seminars. Graduates will be mentored by the Graduate Support Directors throughout the duration of the program.
GRADUATE CAMP ADVISORS: At the Blue Ridge Camp in June (June 6th – 19th), graduates will work as camp counselors in charge of their own advisories. Graduate Camp Advisors will provide direct supervision for rising SILA seventh and eighth graders and perform all duties assigned to them by the SILA Camp Director and Graduate Support Directors. Such duties include, but are not limited to, assisting with meals, facilitating a student group during Academics, organizing and running Electives and Free Choice activities, coordinating advisory tasks for Civil Rights Night and Skit Night, assisting with the overnight hike and campout, and encouraging teamwork during all-camp events such as Evening Games, Chapel, Camp Olympics and The Amazing Race.
GRADUATE TEACHING ASSISTANTS: In the July summer school program at SILA (July 5th – July 29th), graduates will work as teaching assistants. Graduate Teaching Assistants will provide classroom assistance to full-time SILA faculty who teach the 8th grade summer classes. Graduate Teaching Assistants will also be in charge of facilitating their own 8th grade small reading group, which will include developing their own lesson plans and classroom management strategies. Finally, Graduate Teaching Assistants will provide breakfast/lunch/recess supervision, as well as design and implement their own afterschool activities for the middle schoolers.
JOB REQUIREMENTS & COMPENSATION:
Basic job requirements include but are not limited to:
- applicants must be 18 years old and have graduated from high school by June 1, 2016;
- applicants may not be otherwise committed during the entire weeks of June 5th – 19th and between the hours of 8:30am-3:30pm on weekdays during July 5th – July 29th
- applicants must participate in mandatory SILA training and orientation on both May 26th and June 5th.
- applicants must be CPR/First Aid certified prior to June 1st (NOTE: SILA will pay for your training/certification if you are not already certified)
- applicants must complete the online STAND training through the Archdiocese of Baltimore prior to June 1st.
Graduates can also expect to be compensated accordingly:
- $1500 for Graduate Advisors for the Blue Ridge Camp
- $1500 for Graduate Teaching Assistants in the July summer school program.
*PLEASE NOTE: While we encourage applicants to participate in both aspects of the Graduate Summer Leadership Institute, considerations will be made if applicants can only commit to the Blue Ridge Camp or to the July summer school program.
***The application deadline is February 1st. Interviews (via Skype, FaceTime or in-person) will be conducted February 8th – 19th. Candidates will be notified of decisions by February 26th.